Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Homeless

Boy it is cold outside! The temperature has been hitting sub zeros much of the Mid-West this week. I am so fortunate to have a nice heated home, warm food and a loving family to be with. I do take it for granted at times as there are so many out there that are homeless, cold and hungry every day.

A few months ago a friend of mine, Prem from Arising Images, emailed me asking if I would like to go to a homeless bar-b-q in Detroit and use our talents and capture images and film. I did not hesitate and welcomed the opportunity. I then recruited Jamie from Jamie Honce Productions to assist me in the shoot. To be honest, I had no idea what I was going to film or thought out a story that I was going to tell with my film. I just went and filmed what I could and worried about how to put it together later.

With the cold weather hitting this week, it reminded me of the homeless people out there. I thought it would be a good time to edit this piece and share it with everyone. For those that have a blog, feel free to post this video as there is no watermark. I think it is an important message to share. Thanks Prem for the pics and Jamie for working with me on this project.

To embed the video, go to the link below and copy and past the code. Pick the video size that best fits your blog.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wonderful reminder of how fortunate we all are that have a home and can meet our needs. Great initative to go out there and film this piece. I think you have inspired me to do a project like this as in Australia as it's also a rising issue.

Peter
Living Lens Videography

Dave Cowling said...

750,000 - that's an incredible number. If your video can help reduce that by 1 it will be worthwhile. Good on you for creating this video Don.

Kristen Turick said...

Great piece Don. As a former Detroit resident, I remember all too clearly how bad the homeless situation is there. I hope this helps to create awareness and help get some off the streets.

Joe Simon said...

This is a very touching piece. You get so used to seeing the homeless everywhere here in Austin that you forget how tough their lives really are. I feel for all of them especially up in your area as the weather is so horrible. Thanks for making this!

Anonymous said...

Don,
This was a great story. It left me wanting more actually. The homeless situation has always been unfortunate AND uncalled for. It worries me given the state of the economy and everything of how much worse it will become.

I'm counting my blessings right now and this short film has inspired me to do something.

Thanks!

SandyB said...

What a powerful message. Thanks for your work and effort to tell this story.

Anonymous said...

Emotive video, Don. The message comes through.

Anonymous said...

I believe that as filmmakers we have one of the most powerful tools in the world to bring about change to save lives. Thanks for the inspiration Don!

Steve Z. said...

That was amazing and really put things into perspective. Thanks Don.

Kyle said...

I really enjoyed your video. I have been wanting to take some members of my youth group to do some homeless work in my city and I think this would be a great introduction video to use when I teach pretty soon. Do you have a downloadable version available?

Anonymous said...

don, beautiful. almost every day this winter i have teared up thinking about our new friends in detroit and this made me do it again. it is truly a beautiful piece and would make terry and thaddeus proud.

i hope this video not only inspires people to do more but to actually take a step to do more. talking doesn't help someone who needs food, shelter or even just hope. donate money to a local food bank, homeless shelters or warming stations that are underfunded and overpopulated by even more people in these hard times.

ok, i'm done preaching, sorry. thank you and i hope this helps people!

love you don and joanne, my brother and sister.

Anonymous said...

Great editing, good story.

Overall a true pro's work.

eric

Anonymous said...

It really does put things into perspective...doesn't it?
I watched this and cried...
Thank you Don, for the reminder to us all.

Damon Dietz said...

Don, this video is really moving, great work. I posted it on my blog, so check it out to make sure you approve. Really nice job.

Damon
www.absolutemediaproductions.net

. said...

thanks everyone for your kind comments! speacial thanks to those that posted this clip on their blog.

don pham

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the time and effort expended in creating this video and listening to the homeless of Detroit.

I've included your video with links back to this post and Arising Images' post as well. I am active in several youth outreach programs in the city of Detroit. They are referenced on my blog. I hope we'll have a chance to see conditions here change.

Today there was an article stating the average age for a homeless student in Michigan is 8 years old. We have a crisis and attention within the city is needed.

Jeff Bradt said...

What a great use of your talents Don. You have helped to raise my awareness of a situation that is too easy to set aside. Thank you.
Jeff